Current Student Applicants
In 2012, Berry began accepting applications for the Gate of Opportunity Scholarship from current Berry students. The application and selection process is similar to the freshman selection process, though it is separate and runs on a different time frame.
Important: Information about the Gate of Opportunity Scholarship will be shared with current students by Berry email. We encourage all interested students to closely monitor their Berry email accounts throughout the scholarship application/ selection process.
To apply for Gate of Opportunity, current Berry students must meet each of the following:
1. Be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Berry College.
2. Be in good standing with Berry - academically (Satisfactory Academic Progress) and otherwise.
3. Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $20,000 or less according official Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) results.
4. Be willing and able to fully participate in Berry's Premier Student Work Experience Program - Gate Scholars work year-round in campus jobs (part-time during academic weeks and full-time during most non-academic weeks).
5. Be willing to live on campus (year-round) in Berry student housing; Gate of
Opportunity is a residential scholarship program.
to professional development and participation in relevant activities
(annual Gate Scholars Fall Conference/Symposium event, donor dinners/meetings,
résumé workshops, professional etiquette events, networking events, etc).
willing to participate in a 2-day Gate
Orientation and other activities for new Gate Scholars.
The application process for current Berry students will involve the following steps:
1. Attend an Applying
for Aid information session hosted by the Office of Financial Aid, the Gate
of Opportunity Scholars Program and the Lettie Pate Whitehead Scholarship
Program. The application process will be explained during this session, plus
interested students will have the opportunity to ask questions. Attending an “Applying for Aid” session is
the first step to applying for Gate of Opportunity as a current student –
attendance at one session (three different times will be offered) is mandatory.
2. File next year’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with Berry College
by the deadline (explained at the Applying for Aid session) and be financially
eligible (an official EFC of $20,000 or less).
the Current Student Aid Application
online at Viking Web (available after the final “Applying for Aid sessions).
4. Submit a
current résumé listing all work experience at Berry College and, if
relevant, elsewhere. Résumés may be uploaded via the Current Student Aid
Application at Viking Web, or they may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage
you to schedule an appointment with the Berry College Career Center to prepare
If you have questions or would like to schedule a meeting
with the scholarship director or a member of the Gate Leadership Team (the Gate Scholars who help run the program), please email email@example.com. (Please note, a meeting will not replace attendance
at an Applying for Aid information session.)