Cultural Events Guidelines
Applications will be approved for Cultural Events Credit if a majority of the individual Members of the Cultural Events Committee voting on the application conclude that the described event meets the following guidelines:
- Support the liberal education of students through musical, dance, theatrical or literary performances; or lecture, cinematic, or multi-media presentations.
- Motivate students to examine their conceptions of the natural world, human behavior and institutions, philosophical and religious meaning, and works of literary or artistic value; or prompt them to reflect upon and discuss important public policy issues.
- In addition, each event must meet the following criteria:
- The presentation or performance must possess clear social, cultural, or academic significance or value.
- The presenter(s) or performer(s) must possess recognized professional, artistic, or academic credentials.
Events which fall outside the compass of Cultural Events Credit criteria include:
- Sporting or recreational events
- Religious worship services or worship meetings of any kind
- Career or personal counseling, sales presentations
- Meetings of student government or other student organizations
- Regularly scheduled class attendance
- Presentation of student course work
- Family life including child care
- Foreign or domestic travel, or dining
- Volunteering in charitable or civic activities
- Volunteering as a subject in scientific or medical experiments